History of Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific
In the United States during the late 1980s, three people came together with one idea: to create a better way to holiday. From that inspiration, the first ever points-based vacation club product was launched. Later called WorldMark, the Club had two condominium units and a leased hotel room available to club members. Our US parent club steadily grew over the years, eventually spreading its wings to the Asia Pacific region in the late 1990s with the signing of an agreement to purchase what was to become our first property in Denarau Island, Fiji.
- Trendwest Resorts Inc (our US parent company - now known as Wyndham Vacation Ownership) expands to the South Pacific
- WorldMark South Pacific Club by Wyndham is registered as a company
- WorldMark South Pacific Club establishes its first resorts in Coolangatta and Golden Beach in Queensland, Australia, closely followed by WorldMark Resort Denarau Island in Fiji (now known as Wyndham Resort Denarau Island)
- WorldMark South Pacific Club opens its first purpose-built resort at Kirra Beach in Queensland, Australia – Wyndham Vacation Resorts Kirra Beach
- WorldMark Resort Rotorua in New Zealand is constructed
- Leading hospitality executive, Barry Robinson, is appointed CEO and Managing Director
- Two more resorts are acquired: WorldMark Resort Ballarat in Victoria and a resort at Flynns Beach, Port Macquarie in New South Wales – now known as Wyndham Vacation Resorts Flynns Beach
- Trendwest South Pacific Travel (now Travel Club by Wyndham), a fully-fledged travel agency exclusive to WorldMark Owners, opens its doors
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific introduces Privileges by Wyndham – a four-tiered membership program that introduces more holiday benefits for WorldMark Owners
- Associate resorts are also introduced as a Privileges benefit
- The WorldMark South Pacific Club’s first CBD property opens – Trendwest Suites Sydney – now known as Wyndham Vacation Resorts Sydney
- Trendwest Resorts Inc becomes part of the new Wyndham Worldwide
- Trendwest South Pacific is rebranded to Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific
- WorldMark South Pacific Club has 14 locations and over 30,000 WorldMark Owners
- Layne Beachley, seven-time world surfing champion, becomes Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific’s Ambassador
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific acquires two properties in Western Australia: Wyndham Resort & Spa Dunsborough and Wyndham Vacation Resorts Perth
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific acquires vacation ownership rooms and management rights to SurfAir on Marcoola Beach by Wyndham (now known as Ramada Hotel and Conference Centre Marcoola Beach)
- WorldMark South Pacific Club’s very first location close to ski fields becomes available to WorldMark Owners, after the addition of Wyndham Vacation Resorts Wanaka in New Zealand’s South Island
- The second purpose-built resort for WorldMark Owners, Wyndham Vacation Resorts Coffs Harbour – Treetops in NSW, Australia, is constructed
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Wanaka undergoes extensive redevelopment with the construction of 37 new apartments
- WorldMark South Pacific Club celebrates the official opening of eco-inspired Wyndham Vacation Resorts Seven Mile Beach in Tasmania, following its construction
- Wyndham Hotel Group launches in the South Pacific, appointing Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific responsible for the development and management of the Wyndham Hotel Group’s brands via franchise and management contracts throughout the South Pacific region
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific employees win two Gold Awards at the prestigious American Resorts Development Association (ARDA) Awards
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific celebrates the 10-year anniversary of the WorldMark South Pacific Club and with a milestone of 20 resorts in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji and 43,500 WorldMark Owners
- Wyndham Surfers Paradise is acquired and becomes the first mixed-use property (a combination of hotel and vacation ownership accommodation) in a joint agreement with Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific and Wyndham Hotel Group
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific relocates to new headquarters on the Gold Coast. The corporate office is officially named Wyndham Corporate Centre and has a five-star, green-star rating from the Green Building Council of Australia
- Wyndham Hotel Group enters New Zealand with the signing of management agreements for Ramada Suites Paihia and Ramada Suites Nautilus Orewa
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific acquires property in Port Douglas, Qld, Australia. The mixed-use property renamed Ramada Resort Port Douglas is a result of a collaborative effort between Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific and Wyndham Hotel Group
- Wyndham Resort Torquay opens. It is the first Wyndham branded property in Victoria and is a mixed-use property in partnership with Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific and Wyndham Hotel Group
- The Stage Three development of Wyndham Resort Denarau Island commences with extensive redevelopment to the existing resort and the construction of a new wing of 63 apartments and villas
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific’s consumer finance department wins Best Financial Services Award from Perspective Magazine
- SurfAir on Marcoola Beach by Wyndham is rebranded to Ramada Hotel and Conference Centre Marcoola Beach
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific acquires Ramada Resort Phillip Island in Victoria, Australia, a mixed-use property in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
- WorldMark South Pacific Club has 24 resorts and celebrates 45,500 Owners
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific employees win eight Australian Timeshare and Holiday Ownership Council (ATHOC) Awards
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific wins the Tourism, Hospitality and Events award category at the Gold Coast Business Excellence Awards
- Wyndham Resort Denarau Island celebrates the completion of the multi-million dollar Phase III development and expansion project with an official opening ceremony in October
- WorldMark South Pacific Club celebrates more than 47,000 Owners
- Global, select-service brand TRYP by Wyndham® opens its first Australian hotel in Brisbane
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific opens the doors to its first Melbourne hotel, Wyndham Hotel Melbourne
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific scoops five awards at the International Perspective Awards for the timeshare industry, including Best Timeshare Resort Worldwide for Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific Denarau Island in Fiji
- Wyndham Worldwide reaches its target of a 20 per cent reduction in carbon emissions six years ahead of schedule
- Wyndham’s first vacation club in Asia, CLUB WYNDHAM ASIA®, a brand of Wyndham Vacation Ownership, was launched alongside the opening of the club’s flagship property, Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket. The club is supported by staff based at the Australian-based headquarters, as well as the newly established Singapore office.
- Wyndham Hotel Group announces 36 new properties across South East Asia and the Pacific Rim, entering Vietnam and Myanmar for the first time
- Agreement signed to launch the TRYP by Wyndham® brand in South East Asia, with eight hotels to be developed in the Philippines during the next ten years
- Wyndham Garden debuts in the Pacific Rim with a hotel in Guam
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific’s WorldMark South Pacific Club reaches 50,000 Owners as it celebrates its 15th anniversary
- President and Managing Director Barry Robinson wins the Hospitality and Tourism category of the CEO Magazine Executive of the Year awards
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific appoints Vice President Customer Experience, Adam Geneave, to help foster a culture of service excellence
- Ramada Plaza Suwon, Ramada Eco Beach, Broome, and TRYP Fortitude Valley Hotel, Brisbane are all recognised in TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards.
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific’s Carly Morris named best Project Manager at the 2016 ARDA Awards.
- Wyndham Hotel Group launches its Days Inn brand in Indonesia with the 119-room Days Hotel & Suites Jakarta Airport and into Thailand with the 122-room Days Inn Patong Beach Phuket.
- Senior Vice President of Sales, Kieran McKenna, recognised as the Best Industry Leader at the 2016 Perspective Magazine Awards in the US.
- The revolutionary Wyndham Rewards® is further enhanced, with four distinct member levels and generous enhanced redemptions capable of being used for experiences.
- The 54-room Ramada Hotel & Suites Queenstown Remarkables Park, Queenstown’s first new hotel in five years, opens in New Zealand.
- One of Queensland’s most renowned resorts re-opens as Ramada Resort Kooralbyn Valley following an AUD $8 million refurbishment.
- Wyndham Hotel Group introduces the Wyndham Garden brand to New Zealand, with the 86-room Wyndham Garden Hobson Street Auckland announced for completion in 2018.
- Ramada Resort Dinner Plain, Mt Hotham launched for WorldMark South Pacific Club Owners and Wyndham Hotel Group guests.
- Wyndham opens its boutique brand, TRYP by Wyndham, in South East Asia with TRYP Yangon Hotel in Myanmar.
- Australia's TRYP Fortitude Valley Hotel, Brisbane, Ramada Resort Reia Taipa Beach in New Zealand and Fiji's Wyndham Resort Denarau Island rated among the best resorts in their respective countries in TripAdvisor's Travellers' Choice Awards.
- Wyndham's Property Development Team, Community Marketing Team and Creative Services Team are recognised at the international Perspective Magazine Awards.